Heparin Sodium Injection USP | Heparin Vial
What is Heparin Injection? What is Heparin Sodium Injection, USP?
Heparin is an anticoagulant (blood thinner) that prevents the blood clot formations. It is used to treat and prevent blood clots in the veins, arteries, or lung. It is also used to reduce the risk of blood clots during surgery. Heparin Sodium Injection, USP is a sterile solution of heparin sodium that is derived from porcine intestinal mucosa, standardized for anticoagulant activity. It is to be managed by deep subcutaneous or intravenous route. The strength is determined by a biological assay using a USP reference standard based on units of heparin activity per milligram.
How should Heparin Sodium be used?
Heparin comes as a solution (liquid) to be injected intravenously (into a vein) or deeply below the skin and as a diluted solution to be injected into intravenous catheters. Heparin should not be injected into a muscle. Heparin solution comes in different strengths, and using the wrong strength may cause severe complications. Before an injection of heparin is given, check the package label to make sure it is the strength of heparin solution that is prescribed by doctor for you. If the strength of heparin is not correct do not use the heparin, just call your doctor or pharmacologist right away. During your heparin treatment your doctor may increase or decrease your doses. If you willing to inject heparin by yourself be sure you know how much medication you should use.
- Child Heparin Dose: 100 units/mL every 6 to 8 hours for PVC catheters and peripheral heparin locks.
- Common Adult Heparin Dose for Thrombotic/Thromboembolic Disorder: 100 units/mL every 6 to 8 hours for PVC catheters and peripheral heparin locks.
- Common Adult Heparin Dose for Deep Vein Thrombosis Prophylaxis: 5000 units dermatologically every 8 to 12 hours.
- Common Adult Heparin Dose for Anticoagulation During Pregnancy: 5000 units dermatologically every 12 hours.
- Common Adult Heparin Dose for Myocardial Infarction: 5000 units IV one time as a bolus dose trailed by 1000 units per hour by constant IV infusion.
- Common Adult Heparin Dose for Angina Pectoris: 5000 units IV one time as a bolus dose trailed by 1000 units per hour by constant IV infusion.